10 Ways to Simplify Your Life
I bought this sign out shopping with a friend last year. It simply says “Simplify”. It’s been sitting in my studio.. But for some reason I didn’t realize its significance until now. That is my word! That is the word I need more than any other word this year.
With a growing online business and a home and family to maintain I find myself a frazzled mess a lot of the time. It is time to stop trying to do everything and focus more on what is really important: Faith, family, and my health. In the busy day to day, we need to simplifying our lives to focus on the things that are most important.
Yep, this is my word. And as I’ve been thinking about it more and more lately, I’ve come up with 10 ways to simplify… all things that seem easy, yet so hard to do.
- Learn to say no. This year I will learn to say no to things that take my time from my family and that add unnecessary stress to my life.
- Stop (limit) unnecessary worrying. This year I will focus on the things I can control and stop worrying about the things that I can’t. If I can’t change it then I don’t have the time to worry about it. (Those who know me know that this one will be the hardest but I’m going to try.)
- Simplify living space. This year I will clean out the clutter! I do keep my home pretty put together and don’t hang on to a lot of extras, but I will focus on cleaning out and donating the things that I don’t need so my living space is free from chaos. Things just feel better in a clean, non-cluttered home 🙂
- Find quick meals to prepare in advance. This year I won’t find myself scrambling at meal time because I will do the prep in advance so that my afternoons are less chaotic when the hubby gets home, and our toddler is hungry. It seems like the hours of 4:30-7pm are always mass chaos in our house and if dinner is already planned and either prepared or frozen to be heated, I can focus on the other things that need to be done in my home each afternoon.
- Simplify daily chores. This year I will simplify my daily chores. I’ve come to realize, I just can’t do it all. Last year I hired help to clean house. This is a tremendous weight off of my load with all I have on my plate.
- Simplify my online life. As an online business owner I have many different online activities that I am juggling everyday including social media, emails, working with sponsors, moderating online groups, etc and it can get really overwhelming and take over my real-life if I let it. This year I will set specific hours for my online life and “un-plug” during the hours I spend with my family.
- Spend more time with my family and friends. Along the lines of #6, I will spend more time doing simple things such as playing games and going to the park with my kids without the distraction of the internet. I will also schedule in date nights with my husband.
- Spend more time in meditation/prayer. One of my biggest challenges is being able to clear my head at the end of the day. I feel like I have so much going on at all moments and it can be challenging to relax. This year I plan to spend more time meditating and praying about the things that are really important in my life. It’s during those moments that I can let go of reality for a minute and focus on being healthy spiritually.
- Simplify health. I will eat all things in moderation and exercise daily, not just for my physical health but for my mental health as well. I will stop trying to figure out the “secret” to a healthy life and just start living one.
- Identify what is most important. Focus on what a more simple life would look like to me. My life is loud and chaotic at times but there are certain things that add to the chaos that can be taken away or limited in our home.
What are some other ways to simplify your life that you can think of? These are just my thoughts but I would love to hear from you as I start my journey to a simpler, less stressful life.